Saturday, February 14, 2009

TO SEE BASIC HISTORY OF WORK & EXPERIENCES…SEE:

Http://kimluccielbualy.blogspot.com

THIS BLOG SHOWS MY CURRENT HAPPENINGS & STUDIO WORK.

Title: FAITH FREELY GIVEN
Subject: Choker
Date: 2008
Size: 1 x 4”dia. choker: 18” long
Description: fabricated sterling silver, formed & welded copper, torch-fired in enamels.


Title: FRUITS
Subject: Wall Sculpture
Date: 2007/2008
Size: 7" x 7" x 1.25"
Description: cut, raised back, fold-formed copper, welded & torch-fired in enameled.





Eva Hesse, SANS II (1968, Detail)

Since my backround is in metalsmithing, after I cut out the form in metal I just couldn't help but hand hammer the bottom to give it a raised arch. Each piece is hammered into a raise on the bottom. It seemed so meditative to do this, but I began to wonder after doing eight or ninty-some pieces what was I thinking?



Title: COVENANT OF FAITH
(freely given by grace)
Subject: Sculpture
Date: 2007/2008
Size: 39.5" x 20.25" x 15.5"
Description: formed copper, welded & torch-fired in enamel.
DETAILS
EXAMPLES OF TINSMITHING
I had spent a great deal of time looking at antiques in local stores for years since we live in Central PA. There are tons of great places and I decided to take my sketch book and look closely at forms that interested me. One day I ran across a popsicle mold that had thirty forms. I just enjoyed seeing the forms all lined up. Immediatley I saw it as the basis for some sculpture I was beginning to think about based on what I saw in local shops. One of my favorite shops is Dairyland Antique Center in Reedsville, PA. Before the owner sold the piece, Dave Sigler who has a booth in Daryland, was kind enough to let me photogragh the piece. I have some detail shots below.

Detail of Side


Detail of Top



The Original 30 Popsicle Mold Done w/Tinsmith Techniques

I began to really look at old tin molds and forms that interested me after I found this piece. I went back to sketch more items that interested me and came across different candle molds. So many different varieties and shapes. I bought several that I could afford and soon came up with the piece I am working on now. The last piece was very difficult to make since each piece was welded to one base sheet, torch-fired seperately then again as one piece.

I decided to use the tinsmith techniques and tools to make my next piece. There are twelve candle molds with a top and bottom tray. I wanted the seams to be done the same way as most of the antique pieces were made. The seam is hand hammered with a grooving tool to lock it together. No more welding there. There is more to come....I need to get moving...I have lots of work to get ready.

I have a show in Philly in early May at the Philadelphia Convention Center through Paradise City....May 1,2, and 3rd, 2009.

All are welcome. I hope to see you there.