REDEEMED SERIES
 HE IS MY CENTER /
              THE ALPHA & OMEGA                   


REVELATION 1:8 NIV

“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God,
“who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."


 REVELATION 1:8 NIV
He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life.

CHOCKER
 DATE: 2008
SIZE: 1 x 4”dia. choker: 18” long
    
DESCRIPTION: fabricated sterling silver, formed, 
welded copper, torch-fired in enamels.



REDEEMED SERIES
THE FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT
     
 GALATIANS 5:22-23  NIV

     But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, 
       kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. 
    Against such things there is no law.


     WALL SCULPTURE 
   DATE: 2008/2009
     SMALL SIZE: 12" x 12" x 1"

DESCRIPTION: cut, raised back, fold-formed copper, 
welded, torch-fired enamel, patina.
 
I GRAVITATED TOWARD EVA HESSE'S WORK; IN MY GRAD RESEARCH



Eva Hesse, SANS II (1968, Detail)


Since my backround is in metalsmithing, after I cut out the form in metal I just couldn't help but hand hammer the bottom to give it a raised arch. Each piece is hammered into a raise on the bottom. It seemed so meditative to do this, but I began to wonder after doing eight or ninty-some pieces what was I thinking?


REDEEMED SERIES
COVENANT OF FAITH

SCULPTURE
DATE: 2007/2008
SIZE: 39.5" x 20.25" x 15.5"

 Description: formed copper, welded & torch-fired in enamel.



DETAILS


DETAILS



ORIGINAL 30 POPSICLE TINSMITH PIECE

   
DETAILS OF ANTIQUE


                                             TOP DETAIL OF ANTIQUE


I had spent a great deal of time looking predominately at metal antiques, in local stores for years. Often with my Mother. In the last few years, I've expanded my search beyond Central PA. But there still, are tons of great places where I live. One day I decided to take my sketch book and look closely at forms that interested to me. I ran across this amazingly huge, popsicle mold. It had thirty forms! I enjoyed seeing the forms all lined up. I felt led back, multiple times to this piece. I immediately, saw these forms for the basis of future sculptural work I was beginning to think about. One of my favorite shops was Dairyland Antique Center, in Reedsville, PA. Although Dairyland was torn down years ago. Most vendors can be found at the Big Valley Antiques Mall in Milroy, PA. Before the owner sold the piece, Dave Sigler who had a booth was kind enough to let me photograph the piece. 

I began to really look at old metal: molds, forms and castings that interested me after I found this piece. I went back to sketch more items that interested me and came across different candle molds. So many different varieties and shapes. I bought several that I could afford and soon came up with the piece, titled; "Lamp upon my feet/Light Unto My Path." The last piece was very difficult and time consuming to make since each piece was welded to one base sheet, torch-fired separate; then fired again as one piece.

Around the time I had seen the popsicle mold I decided, to again, use the tinsmith techniques and tools to make my next piece. There are twelve candle molds with a top and bottom tray. I wanted the seams to be done the same way that most antique pieces were made. The seam is hand hammered with a grooving tool to lock it together. No more welding there. There are more to come...I have lots of work to get ready!

Popular Posts